Friday, May 22, 2020

#126 - Ordet


Feeling better about my pace - just got about 20 new Samurai movies so I may be slowing down once I get to the documentary in a couple films just cause I can't get them until the libraries reopen.

Another film by Dreyer based upon another play - (Ordet translates to Word) - about a couple of pious families, one more so than the other, hashing out their difference when two of the kids want to wed.

I won't get too deep - (I never do) but what stood out here were some pretty long shots that Dreyer took - one sticks out to me of the crazy son who thinks he's Jesus and his niece discussing whether her mom would die and what he would do about it - it's just a long shot that the camera slowly works it's way around and it stuck out to me in a film of mostly longer shots - (some as long as 7 minutes)

I thought this tidbit from Wikipedia about how long he took to shoot - (4 months) and how he did a shot was very interesting...


Dreyer's shooting method was to shoot one individual shot per day. In the mornings Dreyer would rehearse with the actors while simultaneously blocking their movement, set up lights and block the camera movement. Then at the very end of the day Dreyer would film the single shot, usually shooting between 2 and 3 takes. Dreyer chose not to pre-plan any shots and every decision was made the day of the shoot.

These Danish films are a bit slow to get started and I've been multitasking too much when watching time - will try better next time.

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment