Wednesday, May 20, 2020

#125 - Day of Wrath


I probably didn't give this film my best 100% undivided attention - it was a bit slow in pacing and so I struggled cause it was on my PC and I split screened it - I had to go back a couple times.

But it's an interesting film in light of the Nazi Occupation of Denmark which was going on at the time.   It's a film about the oppression of society and authorities, and I guess it had an impact on the Dutch at the time.   There's probably a documentary out there about the cinema in occupied WWII countries, and I know there's on about 3rd Reich Cinema called Hitler's Hollywood.

it's interesting to see this in light of Le Corbeau, another occupation film coming up later (#227) - also a film about oppression, rumors, communial persecution, etc...and I'm wondering if all occupation cinema, the good stuff anyways, has these kind of themes

So basically, it's based on a play about an old pastor and his young wife who he apparently got to marry him under less than honorable circumstances.  As one might imagine, said wife's fancy turns to his young son when he comes home.

It's a little funny to see this in light of Joan of Arc, although he did some other stuff in between.   You have another situation at the beginning with a woman being hunted, religious inquisitors, and someone being burnt to death as a witch - (see that old lady on the cover - yep, she's crispy) - so he isn't going over entirely new ground here but it's a good film and it did feel very well shot

We'll see how the next two hold up.

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment