Sunday, April 28, 2019

#101 - Cries and Whispers


Disclaimer:   I'm not sure I'm going to be the biggest fan of Ingmar Bergman.  To be fair, I'm most catching some late output so far - it's going to be interesting to see what some of his earlier films are like but this one almost made me feel relieved it was only 90 minutes.

It's not a BAD film - it's one of the most realistic depictions I've seen of family caring for someone who's dying - (I say this having gone thru hospice with family twice) - it's shot in beautiful colors, but I dunno - it was just a little slow for me - I timed it and there's 9:40 before the first dialogue is said - (though some words are written in there)

A woman is dying, and her two sisters and servant are there to care for her in her last days - they all have a deep dark secret they're carrying (which is shown in flashbacks) - and they're all in the process of dealing with the grief before and after their sister's death.   I got it on blu-ray so it was killer picture and it had his favorite Liv Ullmann, who we saw in Autumn Sonata, and will see in much of his later work.

These domestic house pieces just don't do a whole lot for me though - i guess I'll have to see some more of his stuff - I know people rave about him and want to buy his 25 film box set but right now I'd have to take a hard pass.

It is well acted, the actress Harriett Andersson, who plays the dying Agnes, really puts on a heck of a performance here.   It just wasn't a film that drew me in, which is too bad cause I know a lot of people like it.

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment