Tuesday, April 23, 2019

#100 - Beastie Boys Video Anthology


First off let me say this was one of the most frustrating ones to do - first disk from Netflix was broken - the one copy in the Twin Cities Library System was out, and it hasn't made the new Criterion Channel - I almost just broke down and bought the mofo cause I knew where there was a used copy

THEN you have to get disk 2 separately so that's another week - anyways....moving on

What we have here are 18 of the Beastie Boys best videos - (I feel like we're missing something - Fight for your Right and No Sleep till Brooklyn SHOULD be here) - but it is what it is

Lots of good stuff here - I was glad I recently watched a documentary that featured them in one of it's episodes so I got some history and context I didn't know

We have Sabotage, by Spike Jones, Intergalactic, by MCA (Adam Yauch - one of the three who passed away in 2014) and a lot of other stuff - these guys liked running and splicing multiple cameras together in some of their stuff and they just have a goofy energy in most of their videos that make this really a great collection

Personally I was watching a lot of music videos in this time and Sabotage is probably my favorite

where this collection really shines are in the extra features - almost every video has multiple alternate angles and takes - in videos where they're playing to 4 or 5 cameras at once, you can select a view of just one camera the whole video - there's also extensive remixes for every song and some other funny and comedic features - they're also unedited videos so some stuff trimmed for MTV shows up here.

it's just a really good example of what you could do - I remember when DVD's came out and people were like "you can have alternate views, etc" but that is almost NEVER used - but here it's used to ridiculous effect - also commentary tracks by the band, directors - each video has at least two commentaries - I think this was a good choice for #100

Now I should be able to use the Criterion Channel for a bit - I will have some family trips in May and I might be watching on an Ipad but I'll try to get some more in - I'm also going to type a summary of the first 100 for Reddit and I'll link here -

UPDATE - link here - https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/bgnqem/finished_the_first_100_selections_of_the/

That was a long time to get thru 100 selections - :) - hopefully I'm keeping up with the releases

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment