Saturday, November 24, 2018

#77 - And God Created Woman


#77 is the film that made Brigitte Bardot an International star.   ...and God Created Woman was directed by her husband, and it's mostly a vehicle for her, it feels like.  I guess the term "sex kitten" was coined for her after this film - LOL

I think it's my first Bardot film but she didn't fit the image I remembered - when I looked at Google, I realized my image was the 60's sexpot star she had become - whereas here she maintains at least in part, a fresh innocence, even if she doesn't act like it.   It reminds me of the early Elvis, where he started out as an "aw shucks" kinda fella only to use it to his advantage just a few years later.   Or maybe a very early Marilyn Monroe when there were still traces of Norma Jean left in her early performances.

It's a decent film - it makes St. Tropez look good, as in the film it hasn't quite become the jet-set tourist destination yet.  I guess it was a bit risque for it's time and they had to have US cuts of the film that protected the decency of Americans - ha

I got to watch this on my wide screen monitor and it looks great in 2.35:1 ratio - the DVD doesn't have many special features - a quick restoration piece - that's about it - but hey - sometimes these get re-released with a lot of special features

up next - a LOT of W.C. Fields - not sure about that...he's no Brigitte Bardot -

No comments:

Post a Comment