Tuesday, February 14, 2017

#17 - Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom



yah...it's not happening, folks

I got the disk - I've looked at the trailer, I've read essays on it - and I skimmed parts of it, and I understand the historical and cultural significance of this movie and part of me really wants to try and watch it

I'm not alone - Roger Ebert owned it but never watched it - I recognize several film critics think you can't be a serious film watcher if you don't see it - it's on the list of 1001 movies you must see before you die...

but I do this blog and watch these movies for my enjoyment - and I don't think I can watch a two hour sexual torture filled film where many of the nude actors/actresses are under 18 -

if I were to get Spiritual as a Christian, it's that what you put into your life is what you get out - and personally, despite my love of cinema, I can see nothing in this film that would come back to me in a positive way

as a last ditch attempt to wrap my head around it, I read this essay by a film critic going to five other film critics to ask their opinion - they were 3-2 for watching it but he still didn't do it

you can find that one here

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2011/10/04/salo_five_film_critics_on_why_you_have_to_see_it.html

so I'm going to let this one go and dive instead into Samuel Fuller in a day or two - I recognize the right of this art to exist, but I recognize more my right to not watch it.

read the plot on wikipedia if you want and then make a decision - but I just can't do this one - sorry, guys

-------

EDIT 3/31/19 - watched it - actually I played a video game while I had it going on the side and could easily tune it out - absolutely nothing in there redeeming or worth talking about IMHO - good riddance

No comments:

Post a Comment