Wednesday, February 1, 2017

#12 - This is Spinal Tap


Been fighting a delay on getting this one - Since the Criterion Release is out of print and was unavailable I went with a streamed copy - my Library is dragging their buttocks on getting it to me - I'm going to start rotating as many of these as I can on Netflix even though I may not get the 2nd DVD that comes with a lot of these releases - I also get more blu-ray's that way.

but hey....one of the top 100 movies of all time - a Hilarious rockumentary - (mockumentary?)

I don't even need to talk about this film's plot or characters - it's such a cult classic and hilarious - but a few points -

The movie was almost totally improvised - there are a few dozen hours of footage, some of which end up from time to time on this or the other DVD/Bluray releases

Most musicians of that time who have seen it - (and even some less famous ones like myself) can point to one or two points and say "Oh yah, that's happened to me" - Some of the stuff I recall is playing a high school gymnasium with 20 seconds of echo and kids playing basketball while we played, breaking a string, handing it to a roadie, and getting it back with all six strings WAY outta freaking tune, and filling in for a band and having their fans literally clear the room in like one song -

Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars -

There's 70 minutes of extra footage on most editions of the DVD, and apparently the Criterion version has a commentary with the actors not acting, with the newer dvd's have them doing the commentary in character which I would think is meh compared to hearing the real life stories behind this one

on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give this an 11 - cause sometimes you get to 10 and you need a little more, and there you go - this one goes to 11

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment