Monday, December 23, 2019

#114 - My Man Godfrey


#114 - is a Screwball comedy - which apparently I didn't realize was, according to Wikipedia, is a subgenre of the romantic comedy that became popular during the Great Depression, and generally satirized the traditional love story.   Like I thought it was Steve Martin, Groucho Marx, W.C. Fields - Physical comedy.   Actually we kinda touched on this genre in The Lady Eve (#103) although I didn't realize that was the name for it at the time

As it turns out I didn't even envision the romantic part of the story till near the very end - I thought it was going somewhere else entirely but that's fine.

Gregory La Cava directed this 1936 film, and this is his only appearance - I haven't made any secret of the fact this may be one of my least favorite genres and periods for movies so I won't get back into that - there were definitely some good points of humor but if I'm checking 5 times to see how much time there is left on the DVD, then I'm not enjoying it a lot

It's got some interesting special features - it was nominated for a LOT of awards, and the blooper reel included has a lot of cussing which is kinda humorous and a reflection on how far these movies didn't reflect the reality of their time - hehehe

I'm not even going to summarize the plot - you can read it if you want on the back of the Blu-Ray or DVD cover but I will admit to being intrigued by the commentary track - I may have to throw it up in the background at 4x speed and get a listen

ok kids - next one is on the streaming channel so I won't have to wait as long - I am not sure what kind of luck I'm going to have as we're about to hit a big string of out of print DVD's but I won't cancel my Netflix or my Library card yet - LOL

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment