Sunday, March 31, 2019

#96 - Written on the Wind


Another Melodramatic tale of the rich and famous (this one apparently based on a true story) - Sirk had a gift for Melodrama.

I did like this one a bit better than all that Heaven allows - the setup seems a bit more plausable - an unhappy oil family, alcoholics, and unrequited love is a bit more sell-able than "we can't get married - what would my country club friends think"

I won't get too deep into the story or plot - it's in print, it has Lauren Bacall and Rock Hudson doing Lauren and Rock - and it has an ending that gets your attention, esp. the last shot

But what sticks out to me is the supporting actress, Dorothy Malone, who won an Oscar for this film - before I knew that, I was already impressed with her performance as the seductress sister, Marylee.

She plays a character capable of great yearning, lust, sensitivity, but with a pretty wild and crazy side and I think she has some of the best scenes in the film personally.

Otherwise I'm glad to be done with the melodrama for a while - while I wait for my next film I'm going to clear out the three films I never got to a couple years ago - the wife is out of town and this is the best time to do it cause I wouldn't want anyone to see me watching them - LOL

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment