Saturday, February 17, 2018

#47 - Insomnia

#47 is like film noir, but in the light instead of darkness - ain't that funny - LOL

This is a captivating thriller starring Stellan Skargard as a Swedish detective trying to solve a murder in Norway, above the arctic circle, in the middle of summer.   As such, it's the land of the midnight sun.  A number of choices and mistakes, as well as said sunlight disrupting his sleep, result in a tale of a man slowly struggling to solve a case while hiding secrets of his own all while slowly dragging down under the weight of said secrets and sleepness.

I knew this was remade - (5 years later with Al Pacino and Robin Williams) but I never saw it so I didn't know what we had going on - this was also kinda close to me as I lived in AK for a few years and even in Anchorage, you could have in the middle of summer enough light at midnight/1am to work outside if you wanted to - if you didn't pay attention you'd be up till midnight without paying attention so we def. got the blackout curtains. 

This is a great film, and it held my attention thruout - there is an interview with the Director and Stellan several years later and it has been released on blu-ray.  Being that the film is from 1997, it's a nice relief once in a while to see a film that isn't marred by 70 years of dust or obsolete film techniques

I'll get some more of these in - it's my oncall weekend and the wife is outta dodge so lots of chances to watch a few more movies

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment