Wednesday, February 14, 2018

# 45 - Taste of Cherry


wife is out of town for a few days - expecting to get a few backlogged features in

This is a film I've never heard of by a director I've never heard of and may be the first film I've ever seen from Iran - in fact I'm pretty sure it is.

An interesting work by Abbas Kiarostami, it follows a man driving around on the outskirts of Tehran looking for someone to bury him after he kills himself - it took me a little while to get to this cause it, well, was a tiny bit boring for me - but I got thru it the next day - I guess Roger Ebert hated it

It was an ok film - it won the Palme D'Or at the Cannes Film Festival which is no slouch.   (Some of my favorite winners are Kagemusha, The Wind that Shakes the Barley, and Farewell, my Concubine) - but it's presentation - primarily long dialogues shot from the alternate seat of a two seater, didn't leave a lot for me - there was also some interesting audio work done on here - my cats were very attentive to the sounds of some interesting birds/wildlife in Tehran - LOL

But not one I'd probably watch again in the future - there's a director's interview as a special feature - it was ok to me

No comments:

Post a Comment