Thursday, September 7, 2017

Side Tangent - Russian Ark



I recently found this on my Sling TV in High-Def - I have it on DVD but a quick check showed the hi-def was better and it's out on Blu-ray - my copy will be in next week :D

This SHOULD be a Criterion film, IMHO - but in any case, it's a splendid piece of work - Roger Ebert gave it four stars, and at it's core, it's a story told in a single, continuous 90 minute camera shot.  The story itself is very interesting, and apparently was concocted specifically to showcase the Hermitage, the famous Palace/Museum in St Petersburg, Russia.  Two strangers wonder from room to room and find themselves bouncing around from time to time - the 18th century in one room, modern day tourists in the next, attempting to discern why they have found themselves in this strange predicament.

There are some beautiful music scenes and performances, and some humorous Russian inside jokes, like the guy who's following them everywhere like a slightly incompetent KGB agent.  I just think as a whole, it's probably my favorite Russian movie, and it came to mind as I was getting ready for Andrei Rublev....

So there you go - if you have Sling Blue, it should be available in HD as desired -

No comments:

Post a Comment