Sunday, September 24, 2017

#37 - Time Bandits


So this is one of the few films so far I can honestly say I have seen multiple times, and that I saw it as a kid - it's a kid's film and more - Time Bandits

Directed by Terry Gilliam - (Monty Python and the Holy Grail - as well as lots of Monty Python illustrations) - it has the FEEL of a Monty Python film - the dry over the top British Humor, the at times outlandish sets and visuals - it's a very striking visual film, and there hadn't been a lot of kids films up to that point in recent years - more than any other this one takes it over the top

A young boy is caught up with a half dozen little people who work for the Supreme Being (God) and have stolen his map and are skipping thru time, stealing stuff and skipping off to another time and place before the crime was committed.   There are some excellent performers here by David Warner and Sean Connery, and the idea of a child's movie told from the point of view of a child worked because his costars - the adults shorter than him, never overshadowed him.

Some great special features - it wasn't QUITE as fun as I remembered it as a kid seeing it 3 or 4 times in the theater, but still a nice quick walk down memory lane.  I found out George Harrison had a hand in producing it and in doing some of the music.  (I doubt I was old enough to know who he was at the time) but interestingly enough I do remember liking the music and sitting thru the credits - no doubt because as a kid I'd watch movies two or three times and just rewatch them - LOL   (cheap babysitter)

Anyhow, its got that vibe that I think made it worthy of a Criterion release, and some special features including a making of from a design POV which is always good stuff and a horrible trailer I don't remember and some good commentary stuff.

anyhoo - back to adult films

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment