Tuesday, April 14, 2020

#119 - Withnail and I


#119 is a mega-British Cult Classic I was apparently unaware of till now - Withnail and I

I should have got to this sooner - it's on the Criterion Channel, even though the DVD is out of print with them, and we're under quarantine for crying out loud.

The plot reminds me of a lot of other movies - two buddies go on a bit of a drinking and drug binge in the country - it reminds me a LOT of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - (notice the Ralph Steadman artwork!)

I guess it's semi-autobiographical by Bruce Robinson, but I don't know the director.  Richard E. Grant does his best lying and drunk scoundral here - (and he's pulled that off a few times - LOL) - and Paul McGann, who to be honest, I know mostly as the 8th Doctor from Doctor Who. 

But the two characters and the way they interact with themselves and each other is pretty cool - one part Trainspotting, one part Fear and Loathing, one part On the Road, all in Camden Town in London - LOL.

the channel has a 30 min documentary with the actors, directors, and so forth - and I stumbed onto a website where they have showings for 100 people every year at the site of the old cottage.   Crazy cult following which is great - and it's part of the George Harrison production company Handmade Films, so you gotta love that.  Easy way to get a free Beatles song in the soundtrack - LOL

Not a bad film - wish I had gotten to it sooner - might enjoy another viewing someday


No comments:

Post a Comment