Monday, December 24, 2018

#83 - The Harder They Come


#83 was not easy to find by any stretch of the imagination - neither netflix, nor filmstruck when I had it, nor my local library system had it - you can rent it on Amazon Prime though - but without the commentary the Criterion collection has which would have been interesting

this is what I understand is the first full length feature film to come out of Jamaica - it brought with it the sounds of reggae to America, which in and of itself is a treat - (although by then some North American artists like Paul Simon and used it in some songs)

The song reminds me a lot of Sweet Sweetback's Badassssss song - (not just cause they're both black films) - but they both have a protagonist who ends up being hunted by the police and I suspect, based upon what I read, that audiences responded to both in the same way - both systems had a level of police corruption that's hard to imagine today

Jimmy Cliff is our main star - who I guess I'll mostly remember as the other club owner in Club Paradise - but of course, he's an international music star and his website has him still making dance music so good for him -

pretty cool film - I'd love to hear the director and Jimmy's commentary on the Criterion version

and yes, I watched this on Christmas Eve but I'm still at work for 90 more minutes so it was on company time for once - LOL

Kind of a cool one

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment