Wednesday, August 9, 2017

#31 - Great Expectations


And so we come to the first of two Dickens adaptations directed by David Lean - (who we last saw in Summertime - #22) -

This was filmed right after the end of the Second World War, and has Alec Guinness in his first speaking role on screen - This seems like a classic of 1940's cinema - the music, the scenery, the characters - it all feels like it's in the right time and well done -

I just wasn't terribly interested - I have no terrible desire to rewatch movies or stories I've seen before and while Ethan Hawke and Gweneth Paltrow made a terrible Pip and Estella, by that point I knew the story well enough.   The Actress playing Estella did manage to come across as a detached lady of refinement.   She was probably my favorite character after the portly lawyer, Jaggers

It's not a bad film - many think it's one of the best ever - it just wasn't that interesting or exciting to me - I guess there was an inferior 1934 American version of Great Expectations (with the same actor playing Jaggers) but that this is regarded as the classic interpretation - so I'm glad I saw it

but truth be told - I coulda gone either way -

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment