Monday, November 21, 2016

#2 - Seven Samurai (part II)

so to conclude, having written that massive post BEFORE watching the movie, what can I leave you with

There's just so much to this movie that carries you in - it's the easiest way to blow off 3.5 hrs without noticing it - The print is fantastic, the story, the music and the comic relief

I was pretty certain I was going to watch it without the commentary, having watched (I think) both commentaries in the past - being day instead of late at night when I usually watch, I made a point of cranking the audio - I had forgotten how good the music was - it's probably the best music I've heard in a Samurai film  - relentless and driving right in the opening credits, and the main theme sounds both noble and tragic, as was the story of many of the protagonists.

There is even more material on the extras blu-ray than there is in the movie - 3 documentaries spread out over 4 hrs - an interview with Akira Kurosawa takes up 2 hrs alone

And then there are the extra audio commentaries - there are two of them, one by a noted expert, and one is a group of people, each taking a turn  - you could burn another 7 hrs just listening to them talk about this film.   In my blu-ray set there is also a small booklet with 8 film essays and a couple remembrances, including one by Toshiro Mifune about memories of the filming, etc.


I have to confess, in the middle of writing this, I started drifting around Google maps in the Izu Peninsula, where the village was built for the movie - I guess the sets aren't standing but dang if it ain't a pretty place

guess that means I need to wrap this entry up - there's so much to read about - I'll leave you with the Wikipedia again and just remind you this is #1 on many lists for the greatest international film ever made and if you're reading this blog and haven't seen it - just drop everything until you do :)

Seven Samurai - at Wikipedia

RB

No comments:

Post a Comment